Nilgiri Frost Tea
A complex and rare tea…
Frost can ruin a tea harvest. However, when the farmers in the Blue Mountains of Nilgiri know in advance that frost is expected, they pick the frozen leaves (often before 5am in the morning) and send them immediately to the tea factory for processing. The leaves then defrost in the withering lofts, where they make an eerie crackling sound as they dry.
The defrosting of the leaves in this way speeds up the ‘withering’ process, thus allowing the leaves to keep far more of their fabulous aromatic ‘top notes’ than would otherwise be the case. Frost teas, however, are not homogenous. Our last harvest had notes that were reminiscent of an Oolong while the aroma of this latest batch is similar to an elegant first flush Darjeeling. The aromatic vegetal notes promised by that wonderful aroma are joined by honeyed and earthy notes with a finish reminiscent of ripe custard apple.
A wonderfully complex tea that rewards the timely hard work of the Nilgiri tea farmers. .
Health benefits of turmeric
Turmeric Orchard tastes great. It is sunshine in a cup. It has the fruity, sweet taste of apple, mango and orange. This intense fruitiness balances the earthiness of the turmeric, ginger and peppercorn.
It not only tastes great, but research also links Turmeric to some significant health claims that are detailed in our new blog post. These include:
1) Turmeric is naturally anti-inflammatory. This is said to help in the fight against Alzheimer’s.
2) It is packed with antioxidants which could reduce cancer growth, development and spread at the molecular level.
3) The active ingredient in Turmeric helps fight brain diseases with research showing that it may be effective at delaying or even reversing many brain diseases and memory loss.
4) It can improve the symptoms of arthritis.
5) It has been shown to be as effective as the leading pharmaceutical drug in fighting depression.
6) Lastly, research is ongoing into the possibility that it can help slow down the ageing process .
We choose all our teas on taste but isn’t it great when they are also associated with such powerful health benefits?
For further information, see our blog:
Smoky Russian Caravan
A perfect Tea for a dreich Afternoon
Smoky Russian Caravan is a wonderful smooth and smoky tea with a great backstory. Smoky Russian Caravan is a blend of teas that reminds us of when camel caravans used to wind their way along the Silk Road, transporting teas from Asia to Europe. Make yourself a pot and imagine the hardy folk keeping warm on those cold nights around the campfires and imagine the smoke gradually improving the taste of the black teas and oolongs in the saddlebags of the camels. The perfect tea to enjoy on a dreich afternoon!